Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Corn Pile

Lately I have wondered if Shadow has become hard of hearing or simply more stubborn in his old(er) age. Inside the house he still is "attached at the hip" following me from one place to the next, but outside seems to have become a different story.

                                  It seems he has found a new love. . .
                                                                       
                                                     
                                                                        google image

When the leaves begin to turn crimson and gold, my son, Caleb, places piles of corn out back for the wild life to enjoy. He continues to do so through out the winter season. We've enjoyed a herd of deer that comes to visit each dawn and dusk.They skip from our neighbor's apple tree to our yard for their meals. We watch as they prance around and wait with baited breath to see the old buck make his way through the woods into our yard. Yet, somehow Shadow feels he too falls into the wild life category; as he sneaks his way to a pile hidden behind an old evergreen. 

Corn is not good for puppies (or old dogs). It can cause all kinds of physical ailments, and it can cause an already pudgy puppy to become even pudgier and lazy.  Over the years I've been very careful to give only the best food to our dogs so they can be healthy and vibrant. I love them and want only the best for them, but I cannot compete with their desire for the forbidden goodies.  I've talked to my son regarding removing the corn, but that's another story for another time. He insists on feeding the wildlife. But would someone please inform Shadow that he IS. NOT. A. DEER?

This winter the cold weather has brought an even greater challenge. You see, as I call out the back door to Shadow, he seldom will come running and no longer glances up, as if intoxicated by the corn before him.  In the early morning hours, I've been know to traipse out to the corn pile to bring him back inside to eat his own healthy breakfast. Once he sees me he usually will walk sheepishly toward me- ears back, or run for the door. There have even been times I can almost see the wheels turning in his head as he tries to weigh which he desires most, the corn or my affection.  And do you have any idea how awkward it is walking out to the back fence in Angry Bird footie pajamas?? The neighbors must get a good laugh at my expense.


This morning was no exception (except I wore a coat over my PJ's). I called his name as I made the trek toward the back fence. My sweet (and ornery) puppy was deeply distracted once again by the corn.  I walked closer still repeating his name, and still there was no response. My heart began to sink at the thought that perhaps my sweet friend could no longer hear my voice.  And as he fed his growing belly he lost sight of me. However, I could see him; his nose to the ground as he chomped on a nugget of corn.  Approaching the pile I called one last time. He looked up, a bit startled and came to me, sitting at my feet. I gave him a pat on the head and then scolded him pointing to the door. He trotted ahead of me.  Even in my anger, my heart swelled.  I just love that dog. He's a special one alright!
                                                 

The truth is that I know his heart still wants to please me, but he has become so easily distracted by the corn that he's loses his focus. My voice,  he no longer listens for.  As I walked back to the house in my footies,  I felt the Lord tug at my heart about my own distractions.  Once again the Lord taught me about faithfulness through my dear old friend, Shadow.

How many times as believers have we become so distracted by our own earthy desires, that we have completely missed the call of our master?  How often have we chosen to "feed" on unhealthy things rather than the pure food of the Lord? And how many times have we found ourselves so caught up in what we wanted that we no longer listened for our master's voice? 

From time to time we all have our own piles of "corn" that keeps us from hearing the loving call of our master.  He calls us to safety, to the wonderful feast He has waiting for us, yet often times in our stubbornness we refuse to listen, to hear.
The Lord whispers in his quiet gentle voice, desiring to shower us with his love and affection. He knows there will always be distractions of the heart, but it is His grace that draws us back to him, back to our first love.  It is true: hearing is not only with our ears but with our heart. May we stop "chomping on a nugget" long enough to hear his loving voice calling to us once again. Thankfully, He never loses sight of us and comes looking for us even when we're at the corn pile.
                 
                      "May he who has ears,  hear." ~Jesus
  
         
                                                   Linking with
      


                                                  
                                                          

                                             
                                                                                                            

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how timely this is for me!!! I have been asking the Lord to show me the things that keep me from hearing his voice, I too, like your darling Shadow, have my own piles of corn!
    God bless you and thank you for sharing.
    XOXOX
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, don't we all? And some days seem to have many more piles than others. Still my prayer is that my desire to please the Lord will become even greater than those piles of "corn." I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discovered your blog through Kristin and I'm delighted! You have a way with words and I loved this story ... and it's deeper truths! I spend too much time munching on corn myself! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth, welcome to my blog. I'm grateful to Kris for sharing my blog with you all. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about my sweet pup, Shadow and the corn pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story of a dog you love and loves you. That pile of corn must be like forbidden fruit to him. I like the way you illustrate that we are often distracted from our Masters voice when we are busy with other things. Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a Story."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Hazel. Yes, for whatever reason Shadow LOVES the corn. It is as if he can't get enough. And don't eat popcorn around him or he'll be trying to steal it right out of your hand, ha ha. It makes me think of the scripture, The grave is never satisfied, neither is the lust of the eyes. I'm glad you enjoyed my story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it too Lori as I love ALL your writings. And I am so tickled to see some of my blog family here! Keep writing the lessons God gives you. We will be watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kristy, that means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete