Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Grabbing His Boots

                                                                   



     My sweet "puppy" Shadow, (who is actually 13 years old) went outside this morning so he could "do his business."   Chicago has been referred to as Chiberia the last few days because it actually has been colder than Siberia. It is so bitter cold that Shadow's little paws  kept giving out from underneath him as he attempted to relieve himself. He'd pull one paw up, then the next, then the next, his body sinking into the snow as he tried to alleviate the pain. Squatting became almost impossible for him.  I watched from inside, my heart aching. When he finally finished he began the short trek through the drifts back to the house. Sadly he was unable to walk and needed to lie down in the snow to give his paws and legs some relief. All the while his eyes stayed on me. Immediately, I left the door to run for some boots. Within a few seconds, I was out the door.  In that short time he had managed to pull himself up and began limping/crawling through the snow toward the house; his eyes still on the door.  His determination made me run faster.  He wasn't far off,  yet it was far enough that it was torturous. Right away I wrapped my arms around his soft neck, giving him a reassuring hug, guiding and encouraging him all the way back.  Once inside, his paws were inspected as I dried them with a warm towel.  I spoke softly and slathered him in love like only a loving master can do.  His tail began to wag as he gave kisses and I knew my sweet friend was going to be okay.  I just love that Dog.  He's a special one alright.  It was classic Lassie-like moment. How faithful is my Shadow!


                                                

                                                               
      I began to think how a believers's life is much the same way.
Often times we find ourselves crawling through painful circumstances and   desire to get back to the safe arms of the One who loves us the most. When Shadow could no longer see his master at the door, he became determined to find her,  in spite of his pain. What a picture of faith.


    Sometimes during the most painful storms we ourselves lose sight of God  and wonder where He has gone. Some cry out and feel abandoned, ready to throw in the towel; while others keep trekking along, eyes still on the door longing for their master to return.  What many don't realize is that God is simply "grabbing his boots."   The question for us is this:  "Will we stay in that place of pain,  with the weight of it all pulling us to the ground and become paralyzed by it? Or will we, like Shadow,  push through the pain; giving it our all and never losing faith that the one who loves us most is simply "grabbing his boots"?


Psalm 25:15  "My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare."

1 comment: