Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Tales of the Tail

               Nothing speaks of the heart more clearly than that of a dog's tail.
 

      One night last week we had a storm. Shadow and I were alone in the house. It was not categorized as a severe storm, but the thunder booms and lightening gave quite a show. I sat at my computer working on a project when I noticed Shadow trying to find a spot to lay near my feet. Because the project required photographs that I placed on the floor, there was little room for him. The poor thing twirled and twisted around the items at my feet, in hopes to be as close as possible .
     When I stood to go to the kitchen he followed close by. When I walked upstairs he was at my heels. It is not unusual for Shadow to "shadow" me, but this was different. He stood as close as possible, clearly afraid of the storm and clearly looking to me for refuge.   I was a bit perplexed. This storm was rather innocent compared to others we had experienced together, so why the sudden fear in his eyes?   I gave him extra hugs and spoke softly to reassure him.
     When it began raining buckets I grabbed a flashlight and headed down into the basement to check the sump pump. Strangely Shadow did not follow. I called to him but saw him turn tail and run the opposite direction. He is not a fan of the basement, but I could hear his paws running full force as he headed up the stairs to the second floor.
     After investigating the basement, I headed back upstairs, calling out his name. He would not come!  I found him laying on my bed, ears back, tail tucked. It was if I could see shame or guilt in his eyes. He rolled over  in a display of submission as I bent down and hugged him. I just love that dog.  It took a bit of coaxing but he finally followed me back to the computer. The storm continued with Shadow resting at my feet.
     I began to think about Shadow's actions that night. When the storm was at its worst, instead of walking into the dark basement with me, he turned and ran the other direction; to a place far more dangerous. The basement may seem scary but it is the place most safe during a storm. I even carried a light; surely he knew that he would be safe with me, even in the basement.  Sadly, the sound of the storm overcame his trust in me.
    I've had my own  dark storms and like Shadow, I  too turned and tucked my tail  running from the safety of my own master, Jesus. There have been times that I knew he was leading me into a dark and scary place, much like that basement, but instead of trusting him I just ran. I ran to my place of comfort that ended up being no refuge at all. I am grateful that even in those moments God came looking for me and lavished me with his love bringing me back to that place of safety.
     Nothing speaks of the heart more clearly than that of a dog's tail. It seems to me that living a full tail wagging life comes as we place all our trust in our master, even in the stormiest of nights. The safest place to be is truly at his feet.

Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still."

2 comments:

  1. I want to live a tail wagging life every day. But on those days I feel the need to tuck my tail in, at least I know I can tuck myself under HIS wings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Kristy, thanks for a great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete