Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Stop Sniffin' the Spot




This morning as I walked my client's pooches I was once again reminded to stop "sniffin' the spot." Maybe you can relate?
Today, little Zoe, a senior puggle, stopped abruptly and lowered her nose deep into the grass. She leaned forward, paws planted firmly on the ground reading whatever tidbit lay unseen by my human eyes. I stopped and waited as she buried her nose deeper into the wet grass. Being a dog owner/walker, I know this act all to well. Something draws them off the path and like a magnet pulls them directly to that spot. Once they catch the scent there is nothing that will stop them. So, I stood for a while waiting patiently (though our time together was short) as she investigated her new found "spot." The more I stood the more she wiggled her nose through the dewy grass in search of more treasured information under the surface. The clock was ticking and finally I placed my foot gently down near her, hoping to get her attention. Her ears perked up and she gave me a look as if to say, "Oh yes, I forgot why I was out here." No sooner did I pull my foot away and she was marching, ready to get back to her duty.
I don't know about you, but often times I get stuck "sniffin' the spot." I will dig my nose, and eyes (shoot my whole head) into something that will completely distract me and make me lose focus of why I'm here and what I am suppose to be doing. We all have our own spots, don't we; our own magnetic distractions that get us off course and make us lose sight of our own purpose?  We are temporarily blinded to the big picture of our lives, and sometimes the Lord has to gently nudge us along the way. Thankfully he gives us a long leash called grace and is far more patient than we deserve. Next time I find myself stuck on the "spot" I can rest assured that his kind and gentle hand will also move me along the path and purpose He has for me.  So, when life gets tough, don't forget to walk by faith and not by sight and simply put, stop sniffin' the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment